Monday, December 15, 2014

Herding Cats, A Holiday Whine

The child is learning that her mother actually didn't sit around on her rumpous all day while she was at school, as evidently she'd believed before I got this job. I guess my previous jobs have had short enough hours that I've still been able to get most of the errands and chores done while she was in school. Now, I leave for work a half an hour after she leaves for school, and I'm done and hour after she is. Almost every day I have to stop off at this store or that place to take care of something on my way home. "Why can't you just come home and be here with me?", she wants to know. Saturday, she had a choir concert which took most of the day since their call time is absurdly early and I was helping set up and run the cookie mingle after the show. Then, she had her piano recital in the evening. So Sunday, we had to go to the feed store, the hardware store, another hardware store because that one didn't have what we wanted, Costco, and the grocery store. "Why do we have to do this today? I just want to relax.", says the child. Gosh, so would I.
I have no social life, most of the fun holiday things I'd normally do have to wait for the winter break to start, I'm not sure when the last time was I cooked a complete dinner, and the house is no where near as clean as I'd normally keep it, and people, I'm not a great housekeeper.
I'm supposed to be the "Welcome Chat Advisor" for the Girl Scouts leaders in my town. This is the person who holds the hands of new leaders and guides them through all the forms, trainings, and hoops one has to go through to become a troop leader. It's a confusing process, and I should be pretty available, but now I'm not. Do I say I can't do it anymore? Who else will do it? Everyone else is busy too.
I'm also the director of the GS day camp in our area and should be getting training together for the adult volunteers as well as for teen group since the person in charge of that has become too busy. Who isn't too busy?
I'm getting a tad too overwhelmed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment