Saturday, December 6, 2014

Christmas Cookies

Christmas Cookies- Bourbon Blondies
The prompt from several days ago was about Christmas cookies, and since I like that topic, I'm going to write up one of my favorite recipes even though it's not today's prompt. So there.
I'm actually going to give you my recipe for Bourbon Blondies. Well really, it's Caprial's recipe that I've altered to fit my tastes. If you don't know her stuff, I highly recommend Caprial's Desserts by Caprial Pence.

2 cups brown sugar
1 2/3 cups butter, room temperature
3 eggs
3 tablespoons bourbon (you can add more if you like)
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cups chopped, toasted pecans
1 pound semi-sweet chocolate chips

Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Butter a 13x9 pan. Put your chopped pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast for no more than 8 minutes. You can leave the nuts out if you're allergic to them like I am (sniffle), but if you use them, please don't skip this step. You will enjoy the flavor so much more.
Cream together the brown sugar and butter in a mixer for about 3 minutes. You want a creamy consistency without slipping over into the greasy stage. Scrape the beater and the bowl then add the eggs, one at a time. Why one at a time? Because it actually takes longer to beat the eggs in if you put them in all together, and then you've messed up the consistency of your batter. Scrape well after each addition.
Next add your bourbon and vanilla. I don't know a thing about bourbon as I'm a tea-totaller, so I choose what has a lower price and a darker color. I like the way it brings out the caramel/butterscotch flavor of these kinds of bars. My family prefers the amount I've stated, but if you're into that kind of thing, you can go as much as 6 tablespoons without messing up the texture of your batter. When it comes to vanilla, use the best you can afford. There are many recipes where you can't tell, but when it's one of the main flavors,  always go for the best.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix with the batter until just combined. Add your nuts and chocolate chips. If you've strong arms you could do this by hand, otherwise use your mixer just until everything is combined.
Dump all of this goodness into your pan, smooth the top, and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let them cool for about an hour, then cut into 2 inch pieces. Store in airtight containers. Makes about 36 cookies.

Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. I am going to make these for the TGIO party this afternoon, because they sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete